As an Irish entrepreneur operating globally, Norman Crowley is used to flying the green flag. We hear how that phrase means something different to him today.
The CoolPlanet Group CEO has had a fascinating career to date, having started and sold three businesses for over three-quarters of a billion dollars before he was forty – including Inspired Gaming and The Cloud. But his current venture is more personal to him, and is he says born out of a motivation to create something that would make a positive impact on the world, rather than just make money. The group of businesses works across industries from agri-tech to motor to SaaS, with the shared goal of finding environmentally positive solutions that deliver on both purpose and profit.
In this episode of Inside Intercom we hear from Norman about his own motivations, why he believe privates enterprise can play an integral role in positive change, and how his company CoolPlanet, harnesses data to empower major corporations in making huge energy and cost savings.
If you’re short on time, here’s some quick takeaways:
- Trillions of dollars worth of fossil fuels are wasted every year. Crowley’s SaaS offering CoolPlanetOS promises to use data to make major cost and energy savings to reverse this trend.
- Crowley believes that economics will be a major driver in solving the issue of climate change and that this approach offers the opportunity for people to live maximally with minimum environmental impact.
- Adapting to remote work and eschewing business travel has forced a change – the events of the last year has already fundamentally changed how and where we do business.
- There’s opportunity in change, already this serial entrepreneur is looking at new business models born out of the current situation.
- Guilt won’t encourage people to make better decisions for the climate. We need to find different motivators and appeal to those.
If you enjoy our discussion, check out more episodes of our podcast. You can subscribe on iTunes, stream on Spotify or grab the RSS feed in your player of choice. What follows is a lightly edited transcript of the episode.