What types of organisations seek ISO 50001 certification?
ISO 50001 energy management certification is applicable to organisations of all types, sizes, and sectors. It’s a flexible standard that can be adapted to each organisation’s specific needs and circumstances. Therefore, any organisation that has large energy consumption patterns and is interested in improving its energy performance, reducing energy costs, minimising its environmental impact/reducing its carbon footprint will benefit from seeking certification.
Here are the types of organisations that seek ISO 50001 certification:
- Industrial and manufacturing companies: have major energy consumption and are ideal candidates for ISO 50001.
- Commercial businesses: retail stores, office buildings, hotels, commercial real estate investment groups, and other commercial establishments have a significant opportunity to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Public sector and government entities: government buildings, public facilities, and other public sector organisations can use ISO 50001 to improve energy efficiency and demonstrate leadership in environmental stewardship.
- Educational Institutions: schools, universities, and other educational institutions can use ISO 50001 to manage energy consumption on their campuses and promote sustainability.
- Healthcare facilities: hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities often have very high energy demands ISO 500001 will help reduce costs and ensure continual business improvement into the future.
- Utilities and energy providers: will also want to demonstrate their commitment to reducing their carbon emissions.
10 Crucial Insights into ISO 50001 & Energy Management Systems
- Energy management systems (sometimes also abbreviated to EnMS or EMS is not to be confused with energy management software. An energy management system aims to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy consumption, leading to cost savings.
- ISO 50001 is an international standard for energy management systems, providing a framework for organisations to establish, implement, maintain, and improve their energy performance.
- The standard can be implemented in any industry sector. Over 20,000 organisations have participated in ISO 50001 to date.
- Industries such as heavy industry and the service sector have the potential to achieve a 25% reduction in energy consumption by 2035 through the implementation of energy management systems.
- Introducing an energy management system typically takes between six and fourteen months, depending on the complexity and scale of the organisation.
- Energy data, monitoring, and control form a crucial part of an energy management system. You can then track energy consumption, identify areas for improvement, and make properly informed decisions. A powerful energy management software solution such as CoolPlanetOS is ideal for this core part of of the project.
- Implementing energy management systems often result in significant energy consumption reductions, typically ranging from 10% to 30%. In some cases, reductions as high as 85% have been achieved!
- Energy management not only aids in mitigating financial risks (by ensuring the secure availability of electricity and other energy sources) but it also results in reduced maintenance costs for expensive equipment, leading to extended lifespans and enhanced performance. (Investment costs of an electric motor only account for around 3% of its life cycle costs, while energy consumption accounts for 95%)
- ISO 50001 certification serves as a valuable credential for organisations seeking investment funding and subsidies for energy projects. The certification shows a commitment to sustainable practices and environmental responsibility.
- An effective energy management system is brought to life by your employees and your leadership team, it is their engagement and commitment to ISO 50001 as an ongoing process that will ensure its success.
How can CoolPlanet help you
CoolPlanet is a global organisation with a host of environmental engineers who are expert in the field of energy management and climate neutrality.
Our team is expert on carbon footprints, environmental management in line with ISO 50001, energy management software, and internal audits. We are helping businesses adapt ISO 50001 to fit their specific requirements. We can help you design an energy management system that delivers the right results for your company. The way you use, manage, and monitor your energy consumption and carbon emissions is different from your competitors. Based on a tailored ISO 50001 project plan, we work to adapt your existing systems, guiding you step by step through the implementation process to put energy efficiency first and increase your competitiveness.